Vegetarianism: Day Eight

It is said that humans are creatures of habit.  I imagine that a human’s eating habits are no different.  Specifically, I imagine that a families eating patterns are dependent on where they live geographically.  Valerie and I live in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, an area merging the foods of the United States and Mexico, both good and bad.  A better Tex-Mex meal cannot be had in Texas. 

But not just region plays a role, but neighborhood location plays a role as well.  On the corner of the major intersection of our neighborhood is a gas station, Stripes, which sells its own brand of breakfast tacos, highly sought after, a Burger King and a Little Caesars.  There are no less than three fried chicken restaurants within a few miles of our house.  I don’t think I contain the number of Mexican/Tex-Mex restaurants to the ten digits on my hands.  There is exactly two Chinese restaurants in the neighborhood, neither of which is that great. 

There is one grocery store, which I have to grant, has superb produce.  There are a couple of Walmarts within driving distance.

The point is, one’s diet is not just restricted by what one chooses to eat but by one has available to eat.

Every morning, I stick to the same staple foods, oatmeal with fruit, banana, coffee, and maybe a yogurt.  Easy enough.  No meat in this meal.

But then, lunch and supper become an issue.  Eight days in, and I have managed to find a good mix without finding myself becoming bored with what I am eating.  I think that boredom probably will be my downfall in my quest to make it thirty days without meat. 

Today, I took Valerie to the Olive Garden.  I knew that I could easily pickup a plate of pasta and soup without violating my restricted diet.  The question is, how much do vegetarians rely on pasta as a staple?  Apparently, the answer is, a lot.  In addition to providing energy, whole grain pasta is a good source of protein.  Incidentally, nuts are also high on a vegetarian/vegan diet.  See the website here.

So I made the right choice today.  In fact, we got an extra plate of pasta to bring home.

olive-garden-5-cheese-zita

Comments

Popular Posts