VEGETARIANISM: DAY FIVE

I didn’t wake up weak this morning. But then again, I had my normal breakfast of oatmeal with blueberries, banana, and coffee. Lunch was a spicy vegetable soup. Dinner was a cheese sandwich interspersed with loads of treats from a bakery of some sort. I am a little emotional tonight, but I just finished season one of the show, You’re the Worst.

I thought this morning about what about vegetarianism which made it so difficult to be one. I rephrased the question as to what it was about meat that made it so irresistible such that we crave it so dearly.

Take bacon for insistence.  The common saying is that, “Everything tastes better with bacon.”  And so it is that bacon serves as a garnish for many other foods such as hamburgers, pizza, hotdogs, and even doughnuts of all things.  Bacon is wrapped around a piece of steak and served as expensive filet mignon. 

Or even just a greasy hamburger.  Who hasn’t had a late night craving for ground beef fried up on a grill and slapped between a bun with lettuce, pickle, ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, and tomato?  Is it any wonder that the majority of late night restaurants are hamburger joints and not salad bars or sandwich shops? 

Is it that the desire for beef is like the desire for anything?  Do people seek out beef to the extent that they do not have meat, and in particular beef and pork, because they shouldn’t have it that often? 

People don’t have cravings for healthy foods.  At least, normal people don’t.  No, it is the forbidden thing which we desire.  (In writing this, I have thought of the one exception to the rule, i.e., when Adam and Eve desired the Forbidden Apple hanging for the Tree in the garden of Eden.  Perhaps, God had wrapped the Apple in a big, thick juicy slab of bacon.  Or maybe it was the snake.)

So far on this vegetarian diet, I have not had the craving for meat.  But I know within the month, I will be sitting in bed one night watching television, and an ad for Jack-in-the-Box will air advertising its newest meal deal probably composed of a new burger, and I will want to race out to purchase it.  The thought of it will drive me crazy, and I will have one of two choices, either to succumb to the desire, or to go to sleep with the hope that the temptation will have disappeared with the morning light.

Comments

Popular Posts